The MATT @ Rose Hill
During the renovation of the Mattatuck Museum, exhibitions will on view at
Rose Hill – 63 Prospect St, Waterbury CT 06702
The MATT@Rose Hill has re-opened to the public.
The safety and health of visitors and staff is the highest priority at the Mattatuck Museum. With the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) within the United States, the Museum is keeping up to date with all CDC health-related plans and procedures.
The Museum will be open Monday through Friday and the first weekend of the month. Visitation will be by appointment only, on the hour, Monday-Friday from 9am-3pm and first Saturday & Sunday of the month noon-4pm. Groups of no more than 10 visitors will have exclusive access to the Museum Galleries on the 1st floor for 40 minutes. The additional time in-between appointments will be devoted to cleaning and disinfecting common spaces before the next group enters the building.
Admission tickets must be purchased online prior to your visit. Purchase tickets here.
By entering the facility, attendees accept all risk in attending in-person events and will adhere to all social distancing and protective equipment use requirements.
Read some of our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about the Museum’s updated guidelines for visitors, including what to expect on your visit, cleaning and safety protocols, and more.
Check back at the website for updates and any future changes.
- Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- First Full Weekend of the Month: Noon-5:00 p.m. (August 1 & 2, September 5 & 6, October 3 & 4, November 7 & 8, December 5 & 6)
Please note that the galleries are cleared 15 minutes before closing. Some galleries may occasionally be closed to visitors due to exhibition installation and maintenance, private events and other non-regular events.
- July 13-31: The Museum will be closed to visitors to accommodate our Summer Youth Art program and to ensure the safety of the participants.
- Presidents’ Day – Monday, February 17, 2020
The Museum will be closed in observance of the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day – Wednesday, January 1, 2020
- Martin Luther King Day – Monday, January 20, 2020
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 25, 2020
- Independence Day – Friday, July 3 & Saturday, July 4, 2020
- Labor Day – Monday, September 7, 2020
- Columbus Day – Monday, October 12, 2020
- Veteran’s Day – Wednesday, November 11, 2020
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 26, 2020
- Christmas Day – Friday, December 25, 2020
- Museum members: Free (Join now!)
- $5 General Admission
- Free for Children 12 & under
- Monday-Friday: Free for Waterbury Residents
- Purchase a CT Art Trail Passport and receive admission to the Mattatuck and 17 other world-class museums and historic sites.
Blue Star Museum
Free admission to all active duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Museums on Us
1st Saturday & Sunday of the month
Free admission for Bank of America, Merrill Lynch and US Trust cardholders
Family Free Art Activity
1st Saturday of the month
Explore the Museum all day at no charge and participate in a family-friendly program at 10:00 a.m.
Reciprocal Museum Admission
Members of the following museums receive free admission to The MATT.
- Art Complex Museum, Duxbury, MA
- Bennington Museum, Bennington, VT
- Cape Cod Museum of Fine Arts, Dennis, MA
- Danforth Museum of Art, Framingham, MA
- Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland, ME
- Fitchburg Art Museum, Fitchburg, MA
- Lyman Allyn Art Museum, New London, CT
- New Britain Museum of American Art, New Britain, CT
- Provincetown Art Association & Museum, Provincetown, MA
Visit the Museum with a Libary Pass!
The following libraries are Members @ The MATT and offer free admission passes to library cardholders. Learn more about becoming a member library @ The MATT!
- Case Memorial Library
- Clark Memorial Library
- Howard Whittemore Memorial Library
- Middlebury Public Library
- New Milford Public Library
- Norfolk Library
- Oliver Wolcott Library
- Prospect Public Library
- Seymour Public Library
- Silas Bronson Library
- Thomaston Public Library
- Wolcott Public Library
- Woodbury Public Library
- Food and drinks are permitted only in the café and Museum Garden
- Water in plastic bottles may be brought into the Museum
- Only pencils may be used in the galleries; the use of ballpoint pens, ink, markers, fountain pens or watercolors is not permitted at any time
- Strollers are allowed in all galleries unless otherwise noted
- Oversize and jogging strollers are prohibited
- A wheelchair is available in the coat room (inquire at Visitor Services desk)
- To ensure the safety of the collection, the Museum does not permit visitors to carry bags on their backs in the galleries
- All backpacks and packages must be checked in at the Visitor Services desk
- Coats and small umbrellas may be carried into the galleries. Large umbrellas must be checked
- The Museum reserves the right to refuse other items and is not responsible for items held by the Visitor Services staff
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the Museum or in the Garden.
- Flash photography and video cameras cannot be used inside the Museum
- Still photography is permitted for private, noncommercial use only in the galleries devoted to the permanent collection
- Photography is not permitted in special exhibitions or areas consisting of works of art on loan from private collections or other institutions
- Photographs cannot be published, sold, reproduced, transferred, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner whatsoever