Campaign for the Last Million
Through the generosity of our supporters, we have come such a long way towards bringing to fruition the plan outlined below. As we all worked from home and maintained social distancing, our construction team was hard at work making this project come to life. Construction continues at full speed and we have launched our Campaign for the Last Million.
Help us raise the last million and learn more about the new Museum in the process! Visit Unlock The MATT , an interactive website where you can make your gift, track our progress, and view exclusive content as rooms in the Museum are unlocked.
The Mattatuck Museum is a key component of the cultural, social and educational life of our community. We believe in Waterbury and its future. We pledge to use our strength as a cultural beacon to help the city prosper by bringing a new generation of visitors downtown. We are committed to re-envision the Museum for the greatest possible effectiveness and community impact.
To that end, the Museum engaged the architectural firm of Ann Beha Architects (ABA) to develop a plan to reimagine the Museum while continuing to be a welcoming, inclusive, stimulating and enriching community anchor. ABA’s plan for the “new” Mattatuck Museum calls for an extensive 14,000 square foot renovation to the existing space and an addition of almost 7,000 square feet to enhance educational programming, collections storage and exhibitions. (Read more about the history behind the project here.)
With this expansion, The MATT will proudly take its place in the cultural and artistic transformation of downtown Waterbury. The successful completion of this campaign will secure the Mattatuck’s legacy for future generations. It will enable the Museum to grow with confidence to its rightful spot among the most important cultural institutions in Connecticut and one of the finest regional museums in the country.
The plan allows the Museum to implement an exciting vision that includes:
• Two new classrooms to allow for 25% increase of school tours, family programs and adult studio classes.
• A new freight-sized elevator to accommodate large scale, high quality traveling exhibitions and 1,500 square feet of new exhibition space.
• More inviting public spaces providing for complete accessibility and clearer navigation throughout the Museum.
The expansion will provide:
• A new entrance and open lobby.
• A dedicated museum shop, café and community spaces.
• An outdoor roof deck overlooking Waterbury’s historic green.
• Expanded opportunities for earned revenue through rentals, food service and retail.
• A striking and welcoming architectural presence that will transform the landscape of downtown Waterbury.
Take a Virtual Tour