A Community History Project
The Mattatuck Museum is conducting a community history project to develop a digital exhibit about the many different winter holiday celebrations that happen each year throughout the Greater Waterbury area. We believe the holiday season is a great time for us to come together to learn about our different cultural and religious practices. We also recognize that gatherings may look different this year and want to bring people together—even if remotely—to learn and celebrate.
Stay tuned for further information on our Holiday Traditions digital exhibit and event in December!
How Can you Participate?
We are seeking video submissions (30-90 seconds) that can be submitted by email.
- Wish a happy holiday; share how you usually celebrate with family and friends and how you are celebrating this year
- Include family and friends, special recipes, and traditional items, or décor (ex. Christmas Tree, Menorah etc.). Video submissions of your family wishing “Happy holidays!” are also welcome.
- Share photos, music, food/drink recipes
Email should include the names of participants in the video, hometown (ex. WATERBURY, NAUGATUCK, etc.) and a short description of what the holiday season means to you and how you celebrate. By submitting a video, participants agree to allow the museum to share content on the website and social media accounts.
In Person Recording:
We are also hosting 30-minute in person recording sessions to talk more in depth about your family’s holiday traditions. The Museum has some funding available to donate to organizations that do an in person recording session, contingent upon number of participants and their level of involvement.
- Talk in depth on how you usually celebrate with family and friends and how you are celebrating this year
- Bring in photos, music, food recipes
The Museum is following CDC protocols for in person sessions. Staff and participants will be wearing masks and practicing social distancing. Cleaning and disinfecting will take place between sessions. Participants will be allowed to remove their mask while recording.
Email email@example.com to schedule in person recording or to submit a video. Larger files may need to be sent via an FTP such as dropbox.
Wilson Lima talks about his family’s Brazilian Christmas Eve traditions.
Supported by the City of Waterbury Arts & Tourism Commission
Want to see what else is happening at the Museum? Check out the event calendar!